It’s official I finished the Outfit Along….. a month late….but I finished 🙂
I’ll start with the shorts…
This was my first time using a True Bias pattern and I was SUPER pleased with it! I cut a size __ and it pretty much fit right out of the envelope….which never happens!! I’ve had the chance to wear them a few times and I may want to adjust the crotch depth the next time I make them, but that may be partially due to my fabric choices (see below!).
I used the Lander Sewalong extensively and it proved quite helpful! I also used Lladybird’s method for the belt loops, which was much easier than the tube turning mess.
Now while the fit was more or less fantastic I may have messed up on the fabric 😦 I used the discount code and bought Robert Kaufman Brussels Washer Linen in Navy from The Confident Stitch. The fabric is really nice…..but has a tendency to bag out (and wrinkle, but it is still a linen) and was really probably not the best for these more structured shorts. Which I have just now realized they specifically warned about in the description <facepalm> When I remake them I’ll probably do it in a nice twill 🙂
Now I did take this up a notch by using really special buttons…. so special in fact I will probably move them on to the new pair of shorts when I re-make them. These buttons came from my Grandpa’s Navy uniform who served during World War II! My Mom gave me an old box labeled “Navy Buttons” and I found these among the more obvious eagle and anchor Navy buttons. I know his actual uniform was destroyed in a flood, but I think someone may have gone through and cut all the buttons off it before tossing it. I can’t tell what they’re made of, but they are quite solid and sturdy. [FYI: They got really blown out in these photos, the true color is closer to the outdoor shots- kinda of a linen/off white.]
Now on to the top! I was originally planning on making Zinone (even had yarn & color scheme picked out), but when Andi released Waters and it was on sale…. I immediately changed plans! [Also, I FINALLY actually bought one of her patterns and so can stop feeling guilty about being a freeloader.]
This was a fairly easy pattern to follow. I thought I was going to have a hard time remembering to switch colors for the stripe pattern, but that was actually super easy! I knit it in a size Large and the fit is very good. As always, I went up a size on my needles to a size 4 to get the right gauge….. of course that was only after I bought the size 3 needles 😦
I used Lindy Chain yarn, because it was a lot cheaper than the suggested yarn, in Navy and Mist. It wasn’t the original combination I wanted, but I think I actually like it better then the original Navy/Linen combo (they were out of Linen when I ordered).
The only issue I have so far discovered is that despite the linen/cotton yarn and the short sleeves this is still a sweater and it gets HOT!! I walked around the historical Tree Streets neighborhood with a friend to get these pictures and by the end I was sweating up a storm! (or glisten- as a proper British woman once told me “Ladies do not sweat, they glisten”)
Overall, I’m quite pleased with the outfit…. and the fact that I actually finished the Outfit Along!! I will definitely be remaking the shorts in a better fabric…. and probably give the pants a shot too 🙂
And BONUS- this will fulfill two from my Make Nine challenge!! Knit a sweater (check) and I’m going to count my shorts as my Wild Card (double check)! That brings me to five down 😀 Woohoo- over 50% complete!!